Friday, March 12, 2010

Mental: The Unexpected Part Deux

I wasn't aware there'd be a second installment to this saga, but here we are.

One of my recent entries was about a man who chose to tell me in his first message to me that he was both institutionalized and incarcerated in the past. The manner in which he revealed it did not sit well with me. I didn't reply.

Today he sent me another message. Subject line: "What gives?"

What is it that you didn't like about my message? You didn't even check out my profile. That's not being very open-minded! Oh well, maybe you will reconsider when you aren't having any luck with anyone else. Take care.

First of all... I did read his profile. Sometimes I choose the "browse anonymously" option on OKCupid, so people won't know that I've visited. Not that it mattered, because his (pages-long) message was essentially a re-wording of everything written in his profile. I can't stand it when people do that. There's putting thought into a message, and then there's wasting your time telling me things I can find out easily. Then again, with the frequency most men tell me they don't read my profile...

Secondly, nowhere in my profile do I claim to be open-minded. Do I think I am? Yes. But if you actually read what's written in my profile, I sound exactly the opposite. I reply to messages "very selectively" according to OKCupid (and that's prominently placed), and I say myself that I'm picky. What about that would lead him to believe that he'd get a response in the first place?

And finally... He hopes I'll reconsider when I'm not having any luck? So...what he's saying here is that he wants to be the guy I settle for? Well. That's awesome. And that comes off very rude to me for some reason, as well. Implying that I can't do any better.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment