Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mental.

Okay, so this one's semi-serious. I feel bad, but at the same time, I also...don't.

Imagine, if you will, you're at a bar with your friends. An average-looking guy approaches you and this is his opening line: "Hi, I'm [Name]. I suffer from bipolar disorder, paranoia, hallucinations, and aggressive outbursts, and was institutionalized at a mental health facility for a significant amount of time. But I'm not a sociopath! Oh, I've also been incarcerated in two different maximum-security prisons. Wanna go out?"

Show of hands, ladies: Who's gonna say yes? Anyone?

Look, we all have history. And we all have our problems. Whoever he gets involved with does need to know about this stuff, I think, and it's great that he's willing to be honest. But seriously? In the first message? At least if he'd eased into it, I could potentially say, "Here's a nice guy with an unfortunate past." But this way he's just a mentally-ill ex-con and...not much else.

It's a tough thing to have to deal with, and either way, he's going to face some judgment. But dude, give yourself a chance by letting her know you first. That's all I'm sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment